Asthma is mostly caused due to an allergic condition which is an outcome of the reaction of the body to certain allergens. It is one of the most common and problematic respiratory diseases. A person suffering from asthma has frequent attacks of breathlessness but otherwise he may be completely normal. These attacks result in difficulty to breathe, coughing, wheezing and trouble in sleeping. So, these home remedies for asthma cough at night and shortness breath issues can be cured with DIY methods. Asthma is a life threatening disease and the patient should be immediately taken to the emergency room. If you want to read about get rid of sun tan, click here.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 13 people have asthma.
Types of Asthma
There are two types of asthma, allergic and non-allergic. In both the forms of asthma the symptoms remain the same. Allergic asthma occurs as a result of some allergies and the allergens which trigger the symptoms of allergy in them may also trigger the symptoms of asthma. Both these reactions are an outcome of the overreaction of the immune system towards the otherwise harmless allergens. This form of asthma is the most common in nature.
In non-allergic asthma your airways are extremely sensitive and may get irritated quite easily due to non-allergens like exercise, smoke, cold or dry air, viruses, stress or a change in the weather.
The modern medicine has not yet been able to find a cure for asthma but various home remedies for asthma have been helping people in effectively dealing with this problem for quite some time.
Home Remedies For Asthma Cough At Night
1. Honey as a Treatment for Asthma
Hold a jar of honey under the nose and breathe deeply while making sure that you are inhaling the aroma of honey.
Cure for Asthma using Honey:
This improves breathing and is one of the most commonly used home remedies for shortness of breath and wheezing.
2. Figs as a Remedy for Asthma
Figs have been extremely beneficial in the natural treatment for asthma. They help in removing the phlegm, which is the thick and sticky mucus produced by the mucous membrane present in the respiratory tract at the occurrence of an infection.
Natural Treatment for Asthma using Figs:
Soak 3-4 figs overnight after cleaning them properly with warm water and consume them the next morning.
3. Lemon as a Natural Remedy for Asthma
Lemons are an antiseptic and help in eliminating the germs present in the mucus. They also facilitate faster recovery from cough or cold which can otherwise gradually even lead to asthma attack. Lemons also help in the cleansing of the blood which further results in the strengthening of the tissues of the lungs.
Remedy for Asthma using Lemon:
Add the juice of one lemon to a glass of water and consume with each meal. This mixture gradually dissolves the thick accumulated mucus in the bronchial tubes.
4. Bitter Gourd in Home Remedies for Asthma
Add a cup of honey which is diluted in water to about 50 grams of bitter gourd juice. Drinking this daily is extremely beneficial as a cure for asthma.
Cure for Asthma using Bitter Gourd:
Make a paste of the roots of bitter gourd and add an equal quantity of leaves of basil or honey and consume each night for a period of a month. This is one of the best home remedies for Asthma.
5. Ginger as a Home Treatment for Asthma
Ginger is an extremely beneficial expectorant (helps in expulsion of mucus, phlegm and other material from the respiratory tract) which facilitates the treatment of asthma.
Natural Remedy for Asthma using Ginger:
Add honey and fenugreek leaves after boiling its paste in water to juice of fresh ginger. This mixture should be consumed twice a day, in the morning and in the evening.
6. Garlic as a Remedy for Asthma
Take 8-10 cloves of garlic and boil them in 30 ml. of milk. This mixture is especially beneficial in the initial stages of asthma. Consume this mixture once in a day.
Treatment for Asthma using Garlic:
You can also add 2 cloves of minced garlic to a cup of hot ginger tea. This mixture should be taken twice in a day.
7. Safflower Seeds as a Natural Treatment for Asthma
Safflower seeds are exceptionally advantageous in case of bronchial asthma. It also acts as an expectorant and helps in reducing the spasms (sudden and spontaneous contraction of muscles). It does so by expelling out the sputum by liquefying it and opening the bronchial passage which was clogged by its thicker and partially solid form.
Home Remedy for Asthma using Safflower Seeds:
5 grams of these flowers mixed with a tablespoon of honey is also a useful remedy for asthma.
8. Chamomile as a Herbal Remedy for Asthma
Chamomile acts as a natural tranquilizer and helps in reducing stress by reducing the effect of those chemicals in the brain which instigate stress. It also promotes the production of healthy adrenal hormones in the body and reduces the spasms.
Treatment for Asthma using Chamomile:
Chamomile tea can be consumed twice in a day for best results.
9. Wild Lettuce a Natural Treatment for Asthma
Wild lettuce is helpful in providing a calming effect to a restless and overactive nervous system. It eliminates anxiety which is many times the reason behind the onset of an asthma attack and also helps in treating insomnia. Wild lettuce is also an antispasmodic and helps in the treatment of coughs. Therefore, it actually is a helpful cure for asthma in more than one ways.
Cure for Asthma using Wild Lettuce:
Wild lettuce should be consumed as a salad with each meal during the day.
Other Home Remedies for Asthma Relief
- Mustard oil is one of the simplest and the oldest home remedies for asthma. Rubbing a mixture of mustard oil with a little bit of camphor oil on the chest at the onset of an asthma attack facilitates easier breathing and cleans the respiratory passage.
- Take the peel of a pomegranate and them dry in air tight container. Now add a mixture of these peels in a glass of milk. Now add 3-4 raisins to the milk and boil it for 5-7 minutes. Consume it as hot as possible, twice in a day. This helps in relieving you of the symptoms of asthma.
- A soup prepared from drumstick leaves is one of the most effective home remedies for asthma. It is prepared by adding 10-12 drumstick leaves to about 6 ounces of water and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. After it cools a bit, add some salt, pepper and limejuice for taste and added benefits to it.
Best Diet for Asthma
- The diet for asthma should consist of a limited quantity of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- Fruits, green leafy vegetables, grains and sprouts should be consumed as much as possible.
- Fried, refined and processed foods should be avoided as they instigate the production of phlegm. Alcoholic beverages, strong tea and coffee should also be avoided. There should be a limited intake of rice, lentils, sugar and yogurt.