On the ground, the hookup culture is gaining a lot of momentum especially among young adults. However, there is a catch in the trend, and women are the most affected, according to various social studies. Many are skeptical about the whole arrangement although they continue participating. If you are a woman, you probably know the anxiety that comes with the thought of hooking up with a stranger you just met today on a dating website.
Why Women Do Not Like the Hookup Culture?
According to a wide variety of women, being part of the hookup culture means that there are ”no strings attached.” So, people can have sex with multiple partners whenever they want. Many women convince themselves that they have a spirit of adventure and want to be part of this culture, but the naked truth behind closed doors is different.
- More likely to have regrets – Studies show that many women have regrets soon after a hookup date and sex. Even if a woman spends the night with a partner, the satisfaction is short-lived, unlike most men, who have positive feelings about their behavior even days later. Some women describe having difficulty sleeping after a one-night stand.
- Naturally long to be valued – If you ask many women, they will explain that there is nothing better in a relationship than to be loved and wanted. But this is contrary to the hookup culture. It involves a temporary mutual agreement that lasts for a day. Even if the other person has qualities that you have been looking for in a serious relationship, the chances of converting it into one are minimal.
- Are more often targets – The truth is that more women than men are at risk in casual hookups. Malicious people might lure and trap them for other reasons than the initial agreement. This is why many feel anxious before meeting strangers for a hookup date.
Why Do Women Still Participate?
Hookups are very common, and there is no doubt about that. It is through the participation of both men and women that this culture has been a big success. Even with the concerns addressed above, there are reasons why women do not abandon this culture altogether.
- The need for money – One common agreement in hookups is the exchange of money. Some women, although not all, ask for money in exchange for sexual favors. However, this is clearly agreed upon on a dating site or app.
- The spirit of adventure – Just like men, women have a spirit of adventure. More so, young women want adventure and to explore their sexual fantasies with multiple partners.
- Peer and media influence – These two influences are very powerful among young adults. They lure young adults into anything that is trending today. After watching some movies or listening to stories from friends, they just want to give it a try any day.
Well, it is controversial that women do not like the hookup culture yet still decide to participate. But after reading the above insights, you will see why the current situation exists. It is important to ensure that every step in any hookup arrangement is consensual.